Hi, How Can We Help You?

Residence Permits for Hong Kong, Macao, and Taiwan Employees in Mainland China

On September 1, 2018, the State Council set forth rules governing how HMT Residents apply for residence permits. HMT Residents may apply at local public security authorities for residence permits if they meet two requirements:

  1. They have resided on mainland China for more than 6 months.
  2. They meet one of three conditions: having employment, a stable residence, or continuously studying at a school.

Required documentation includes: an employment agreement or a certificate from the employer which can be used to prove the HMT Resident?s employment in the mainland; a housing lease or purchasing contract as proof of the resident?s stable residential address; and a student card or certificate from the school demonstrates the resident?s continuous study. An unexpired work permit may still serve as documentation of employment in the mainland until December 31, 2018.

Importantly, HMT Residents employed in the mainland can now use residence permits or their mainland travel permits to enroll in social insurance and housing fund programs. In accordance with Social Insurance Law, HMT Resident?s employed in the mainland should be enrolled in social insurance programs (except currently in Shanghai, as it has yet to implement the requirement). Housing fund enrollment is still on a voluntary basis.

It should be noted that HMT Resident?s do not include Chinese nationals who reside in Taiwan, Hong Kong, or Macao who possess a hukou (household registration in mainland China.)